Lesson 1 – Blood Pressure? What’s That?
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Learning Objectives
- 1.3 Into the Vessels We Go -Part 1
- 1.4 Into the Vessels We Go-Part 2
- 1.5 Measuring Blood Pressure
- 1.6 Know Your Numbers! What is Normal Blood Pressure?
- 1.7 What Causes High Blood Pressure?
- 1.8 Summary
- 1.9 Recommended Reading & Videos
- 1.10 Homework
- 1.11 Sources
- Quiz 1
Lesson 2-What’s True and What’s Not?
Lesson 3-Understanding Your Medication
Lesson 4-Watch Out
Lesson 5-The Basics of a Heart-Healthy Diet
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Learning Objectives
- 5.3 What is A Healthy Eating Plan?
- 5.5 Fruits, Also Known as Nature’s Candy
- 5.6 Eat Your Vegetables
- 5.7 Great Grains
- 5.8 Keep It Lean
- 5.9 Nuts, Seeds and Dairy
- 5.10 The Facts on Fat and Sugar
- 5.11 Sodium and the Salt Shaker
- 5.11 Eat SMART
- 5.12 Summary
- 5.13 Recommended Readings and Videos
- 5.14 Homework
- Quiz 5
Lesson 6 – Lesson 6 – Meal Planning, Shopping & Cooking
Lesson 7-So You Want to Eat Out?
Lesson 8-Move Your Body
- 8.1 Introduction
- 8.2 Learning Objectives
- 8.3 Benefits of Physical Activity
- 8.4 Recommendations for Getting Active
- 8.5 How to Get Started
- 8.6 How to Keep Going (Staying Motivated)
- 8.7 Are You Ready to Get Active?
- 8.8 Move SMART
- 8.9 Summary
- 8.10 Recommended Reading and Videos
- 8.11 Homework
- 8.12 Sources
- Quiz 8
Lesson 9-Supplements! Are they Help or Hype?
Lesson 10-Sleep and Stress Management
Lesson 11-Rethinking Your Drink and Quit Smoking
Lesson 12-Support Can Make A Big Difference
5.11 Eat SMART
Remember how we talked about creating healthy habits in lesson 5? Let’s apply SMART goals to eating so you can get a better idea.
Specific: Start by asking yourself some questions like: What foods do I need to eat more of? How can I add more vegetables to my meals? Let’s say you would like to eat more fruits. A specific goal can be, “I will eat 2 fruits every day as part of my breakfast.”
Measurable: How can you keep track of this? If you have a smart phone, there are different apps you can use. My favorite is See How You Eat because all you have to do is take a picture of your food. You can also use My Fitness Pal, MyPlate, or whatever app you prefer. You can also write it down using a food diary like this one here.
Attainable: Are you able to eat 2 fruits every day? Do you have access to a grocery store to buy fruits? If you can’t get fresh fruits, you can try frozen fruits, dried fruit, and even canned fruit.
Relevant/Realistic: Are you likely to do this? What will make you more likely? What might prevent you from doing this? Why is this important?
Timely: When will you start? When will you go grocery shopping? Today? Sunday? Next Monday?
A few more points:
- Have FUN! Try new recipes. Eat new foods. Enjoy what you are doing.
- Don’t quit! Whatever you do, make sure you don’t give up. Just keep trying. Try something different. Change your goals.