Lesson 1 – Blood Pressure? What’s That?
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Learning Objectives
- 1.3 Into the Vessels We Go -Part 1
- 1.4 Into the Vessels We Go-Part 2
- 1.5 Measuring Blood Pressure
- 1.6 Know Your Numbers! What is Normal Blood Pressure?
- 1.7 What Causes High Blood Pressure?
- 1.8 Summary
- 1.9 Recommended Reading & Videos
- 1.10 Homework
- 1.11 Sources
- Quiz 1
Lesson 2-What’s True and What’s Not?
Lesson 3-Understanding Your Medication
Lesson 4-Watch Out
Lesson 5-The Basics of a Heart-Healthy Diet
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Learning Objectives
- 5.3 What is A Healthy Eating Plan?
- 5.5 Fruits, Also Known as Nature’s Candy
- 5.6 Eat Your Vegetables
- 5.7 Great Grains
- 5.8 Keep It Lean
- 5.9 Nuts, Seeds and Dairy
- 5.10 The Facts on Fat and Sugar
- 5.11 Sodium and the Salt Shaker
- 5.11 Eat SMART
- 5.12 Summary
- 5.13 Recommended Readings and Videos
- 5.14 Homework
- Quiz 5
Lesson 6 – Lesson 6 – Meal Planning, Shopping & Cooking
Lesson 7-So You Want to Eat Out?
Lesson 8-Move Your Body
- 8.1 Introduction
- 8.2 Learning Objectives
- 8.3 Benefits of Physical Activity
- 8.4 Recommendations for Getting Active
- 8.5 How to Get Started
- 8.6 How to Keep Going (Staying Motivated)
- 8.7 Are You Ready to Get Active?
- 8.8 Move SMART
- 8.9 Summary
- 8.10 Recommended Reading and Videos
- 8.11 Homework
- 8.12 Sources
- Quiz 8
Lesson 9-Supplements! Are they Help or Hype?
Lesson 10-Sleep and Stress Management
Lesson 11-Rethinking Your Drink and Quit Smoking
Lesson 12-Support Can Make A Big Difference
American Heart Association. (2016). Managing High Blood Pressure Medications. Retrieved August 12, 2018, from https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/high-blood-pressure/changes-you-can-make-to-manage-high-blood-pressure/managing-high-blood-pressure-medications#.W14r1dJKjIU
American Heart Association. (2017). Changes You Can Make to Manage High Blood Pressure. Retrieved August 2, 2018, from https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/high-blood-pressure/changes-you-can-make-to-manage-high-blood-pressure#.W14ooNJKjIU
American Heart Association. (2018). Sources of Sodium. Retrieved July 29, 2018, from https://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sources_of_sodium
American Heart Association. (2017). Why High Blood Pressure is a “Silent Killer.” Retrieved August 2, 2018, from https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/high-blood-pressure/why-high-blood-pressure-is-a-silent-killer#.W14ntNJKjIU
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2018). Family History and Other Characteristics That Increase Risk for High Blood Pressure. Retrieved July 29, 2018, from https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/family_history.htm
Food and Drug Administration. (n.d.). Sodium Fact Sheet. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/InteractiveNutritionFactsLabel/factsheets/Sodium.pdf
Pazoki, R., Dehghan, A., Evangelou, E., Warren, H., Gao, H., Caulfield, M., … Tzoulaki, I. (2018). Genetic Predisposition to High Blood Pressure and Lifestyle Factors. Circulation, 137, 653–661. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.030898