Greetings parents and guardians! I know that your child/teen’s health is very important to you. With the national statistics about child/teen overweight and obesity being what they are, especially in communities of color; I created this course with you in mind. If you feel like you could use some help in this area then this is the course for you.
The purpose of this FREE course is to provide you with the guidance you need to create a plan for supporting your child/teen in achieving and maintain a healthy weight. The emphasis of the course is on providing you with enough information for you to act. Research has shown that children/teens who have challenges maintaining a healthy weight achieve success when the entire family makes healthy lifestyle changes. Throughout this course you will be guided in creating a family centered healthy lifestyle change plan.
What should you expect?
- 7 lessons
- Each section in the lesson takes less than 30 minutes to complete. The sections are not timed and you can access any part of each lesson at anytime so please feel free to go at your own pace.
- If you plan on skipping lessons, please don’t skip lesson 2!
- You can take the course several times and have unlimited access.
- Homework Activities: suggestions for you and your family to create a family centered healthy lifestyle change plan.
This course is for individuals and groups. One of the best ways to get the maximum benefit of this course is to find other parents/guardians who are experiencing the same challenge. Create a group and work together to support each other. Host group meetings through your church, on your lunch break at work or through community and parent groups. However you use this course I pray you, your family and community will be richly blessed!
DISCLAIMER: THIS COURSE IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE THE ADVICE OF YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER. THIS COURSE IS NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE OR TREAT DISEASES AND CONDITIONS.
Fiona B. Lewis, DrPH, MS, RDN, LDN
Founder, LLBJ Culinary and Wellness Enterprises LLC
Lesson 1-Getting Started
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Learning Objectives
- 1.3 Reasons Kids and Teens May Gain Weight
- 1.4 Tracking and Monitoring Your Child/Teen’s Weight
- 1.5 Why is Your Child’s Weight Gain Such a Big Deal?
- 1.6 Having a Conversation with Your Child/Teen’s Healthcare Provider
- 1.7 Summary
- 1.8 Recommended Reading & Resources
Lesson 2-Creating a Family-Centered Plan
Lesson 3-What Should My Child/Teen Eat?
Lesson 4-Family Meal Planning and Grocery Shopping
Lesson 5-In the Kitchen
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Learning Objectives
- 5.3 Benefits of Teaching Children and Teens to Cook
- 5.4 Culture and Family Traditions
- 5.5 Before You Begin Cooking-Getting Organized (Mise-En-Place)
- 5.6 Cooking Skills According to Age
- 5.7 Knife Skills & Cooking Techniques
- 5.8 Healthy Cooking Tips
- 5.9 Summary
- 5.10 Recommended Reading & Resources
- 5.11 You’ve Got Homework!
Lesson 6-Get Moving
Lesson 7- Mind Body
End of Course
0.00 average based on 0 ratings